Anybody else crawling on their hands and knees to make it through the week? We're with you!
It's no surprise that these past few months have brought on a lot of extra stress with the abrupt changes the pandemic has forced upon us as a society. Although things may not be returning to normal for a while, it's still important we take care of ourselves and others. Here are some stress management tips to help you get through those days that make it difficult to be positive and keep pushing on.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
- Be assertive instead of aggressive. Assert your feelings, opinions, or beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques; try meditation, yoga, or tai-chi for stress management. (Yoga is an ASC favorite!)
- Exercise regularly. Your body can fight stress better when it is fit.
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Learn to manage your time more effectively.
- Set limits appropriately and learn to say no to requests that would create excessive stress in your life.
- Make time for hobbies, interests, and relaxation.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs time to recover from stressful events.
- Don't rely on alcohol, drugs, or compulsive behaviors to reduce stress. (Though, we're not judging if you're dreaming of that margarita you'll enjoy on taco night.)
- Seek out social support. Spend enough time with those you enjoy.
- Seek treatment with a psychologist or other mental health professional trained in stress management or biofeedback techniques to learn healthy ways of dealing with the stress in your life.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." -Albert Schweitzer